Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Can't Go Back Now

I have a friend whom I love dearly that is going through what is possibly the most challenging time of their life.  (I will not make reference as to who this person is because the details are not mine to tell.)  This friend is battling addiction.  While I have experienced addiction second-hand, this is giving me new eyes into the situation.  My new eyes do not like what they see of the world and how it treats people suffering from addiction.  If you were to look-up the word in a dictionary you would find words like “dependence” and “persistent”.  However, no where in the dictionary does it explain the negative perception of people with an addiction.  Our society “persists” on frowning upon anyone with an addiction but doesn’t always offer a shoulder the addict can “depend” on in times of need. 
I have seen addiction and what it can do.  People I love are addicts to drugs and alcohol.  Some have sought help for these addictions and some will die at the hands of their disease.  Like it or not addiction is a disease.  (and for those of you who choose not to inform yourselves…depression is also a disease).  There is a clear distinction between people who choose not to get help and those who do and yet we treat them all the same.  A person who is attending meetings, seeing a professional and seeking information about how to help themselves is NOT the same as the junkie on the street who chooses to ignore advances from loved ones to get help.  Someone who is genuinely suffering because they are addicted knows that one little drink could make it all go away but chooses to restrain themselves does not deserve to be frowned upon.
I have chosen to stand beside my friend and offer my shoulder when theirs are too tired.  It hurts my heart to see them struggle and to hear the apologies fly from their mouth.  I’ve explained many times over that there is NO need to apologize for needing or wanting help.  There is NO shame in admitting to yourself or anyone else that you are addicted to something.  The shame and remorse are due when you fail to acknowledge your addiction and what it is doing to your life.
If you have someone who is struggling with addiction, please don’t cast them aside.  I understand that they may have hurt you, but you shouldn’t turn your back on them when they need you most.  To my friend who is fighting for the life you want and deserve (should you ever read this)…Know that I love you beyond words.  You are an amazing person and have always been a great friend.  I will be in your corner and always have your back no matter what comes our way.  I know that you can beat this ugliness that you are facing.  As your hands tremble and your body sweats, as your heart races and your mind betrays you, I will be there.  And I will be there on the other side when all of this is but a bad memory.  Forget all the people who look down on you because they are not important.  You will win this fight and no matter what, I will love you always.  “You and me walk on ‘cuz you can’t go back now” (“Can’t Go Back Now” by The Weepies)

1 comment:

  1. praying for your friend. there is always a way out, you just have to search for it...or trust a friend to guide you there. be blessed.

    ReplyDelete